Monday, September 08, 2008

Forest for British Progressive Rock










I grew up listening to Asia, ELP and Yes. Roger Dean-illustrator who did most of their album cover(except ELP) was one of the reasons that I got into Illustration major. I think it was my early teen years, took my piggy bank money to local record shop and I come home and look at his cover art and it drew me into wonderful fantasy world he imagined. Music was almost secondary. Then I later found out he even designed the props and stage sets for Yes. Back then gouche was the way to go- this particular image just came together in my head and guess what... I have been listening some of Steve Howe's guitar riffs..

Forgot to confess.. there's Casa Mila underneath this sloppy painting.:)

Roger Dean

4 comments:

Izzy Medrano said...

I remember his artwork from when I was a kid too! Particularly the logos and such painted onto mirrors that you could buy at carnivals! Hahaha

Awesome painting, brother! I love those quick juicy paint strokes. Yer a master!

CECIL B DEMENTED said...

Sub IZZy!

Thanks for the comment, his logo stuff is beautiful!
what do we say? Art Deco? no Art Nouveau right?

Cecil

Donald Yatomi said...

Hey Cecil! Good stuff. I never got into progressive rock, although I did like some early Rush.

CECIL B DEMENTED said...

Yeah.. I know you were old enough to listen to those classic stuff!!
JK.. I remember you and walkman and moving props for painting room!

Cecil